28 Hotels in Ferrara, Italy
Ferrara is an important town of Emila Romagna region, set in the Padana Plain near the border with Veneto. The city is situated in a vast plain crossed by numerous artificial channels and is limited to the north by the river Po. In addition to being a thriving commercial and agricultural center, Ferrara has many monuments and works of art that witness its importance during the Renaissance. Since 1995 the city has been included in the Unesco list of World Heritage for its historic centre, beautifully preserved.
The origins of Ferrara are uncertain but the first written evidence that concern it dates back to the eighth century. The city began to have an important role with the family of Este, which guaranteed the whole area a long period of splendour and stability. In these centuries Ferrara was provided with magnificent buildings and walls, it became the seat of a university and here were born famous writers as Ludovico Ariosto and Torquato Tasso. The Duchy of Este survived until 1598, when it was incorporated by the Papal States.
The symbol of Ferrara is the Estense Castle, built in the fourteenth century, which was the residence of the dukes. The imposing building is surrounded by a moat and has four defensive towers. Inside opens a large courtyard surrounded by a porch and on the western side there is a majestic staircase that leads to the halls of the residence. Nearby is the Palazzo Comunale which houses several examples of Gothic style in the territory. The province of Ferrara extends to the Adriatic Sea with the great natural park of the Delta, characterized by beautiful woods and valleys, where lies the Delizie Estensi, 19 summer residences of the family that ruled the city long.
Sort or filter by:
Preferred Hotels in Ferrara, Italy
Very Good, 7,1
Very Good, 7,9
Località in provincia di FerraraLagosanto, Po Delta Park Lido delle Nazioni, Comacchio
Destinations near Ferrara, ItalyRovigo (27,36 km) Bentivoglio (29,08 km) Pieve di Cento (29,90 km)
About Ferrara, Italy
Longitude:11° 69' 0'' E (11.632778)
Consigli FerraraEste Castle
The castle was built in 1385 by Bartolino da Novara, commissioned by Niccolò II, to defend the d'Este family against uprisings, and was joined to the Palazzo Ducale by a covered and elevated passageway still in existence. From the 16th century onwards it became the new court residence, involving radical changes in the structure of the fortress, such as the replacement of the merlons with marble balustrades, the building of the roof-terraces on the towers, the addition of a storey and creation of spacious apartments. It thus acquired the unmistakable appearance which still remains today.